What Happens During An Appointment
Before your appointment:
Thermal imaging is a heat sensitive test. Anything that creates heat should be avoided prior to testing.
Excessive metabolic activity, friction, or any of the activities listed below which will alter heat readings.
1 Month Prior to the exam:
● No minor breast surgery, i.e. biopsy.
● We may still perform testing after biopsy. Write this in your intake form.
● Patients MUST wait a minimum of 4-6 weeks post CoolSculpting procedures BEFORE having
● Patients should wait 6 weeks after Cupping BEFORE having thermal imaging.
1 Week Prior to the exam:
● Be cautious of too much sun exposure in order to avoid sunburn.
● Scans will have to be rescheduled if the patient has a sunburn of any sort.
48 Hours Prior to the exam:
● For best results, men should shave facial hair and excessive back hair.
● Avoid all tanning and limit sun exposure.
24 hours prior to the exam:
● Avoid chiropractic care, massage therapy, or acupuncture.
● No saunas, steam baths, hot tubs, heating pads, or hot water bottles.
● No analgesic creams or balms.
● Do not shave underarms (should be done prior).
● Please reschedule if you are feeling feverish or ill in any way.
● Refrain from sexual activity.
The day of the exam:
● Do not use creams, lotions, cosmetics, ointments, deodorant, antiperspirants, powders or any
other skin product.
● Please bring a hair tie to remove hair from your forehead and back of neck.
● Remove all piercings and jewelry prior to exam, unless unable to.
4 hours prior to exam:
● Women – do not wear a bra for the 4 hours leading up to the exam
● Avoid hot showers or shaving.
● Avoid physical therapy or exercise.
● No coffee, tea, soda, or other beverages containing caffeine. No alcoholic beverages.
● Do not smoke cigarettes or use any product which contains nicotine.
● Do not use a seat warmer.
2 hours prior to exam:
● Avoid hot or cold liquids.
● Avoid eating or chewing gum.
● Avoid using a cell phone to ear. You can still text, use the speaker, and GPS.
● Do not use a smart watch.
Prior to and During Exam:
● Please inform us if you have a hot flash during the session. Try to relax prior to and during the exam. Stress will affect your exam.
It is very important that you do not use any antiperspirant or deodorant before your scan. I recommend showering (at least 4 hours before your appointment) to make sure any product used the prior day or morning is removed. It’s important because we’re looking for changes in body temperature and using products such as deodorant or antiperspirant won’t allow us to see heat changes in the body.
If you have a sunburn or fever, please call to reschedule.
No minor breast surgery, i.e. biopsy. Note, we may still perform testing after biopsy. Write this in form.
When you arrive for your appointment: When you arrive for your appointment we’ll spend a few minutes discussing your concerns and I’ll answer any questions you may have about the procedure. Please inform me if you have had a breast biopsy within 1 month; breast surgery, chemotherapy or radiation treatment within the last 2 months. When you’re comfortable, you’ll be escorted into a special temperature controlled suite (64 – 72 degrees). I’ll ask you to disrobe and stand in the room for 15 minutes to acclimate your body to the room temperature.
- I’ll ask you to stand, disrobed and behind a privacy curtain, for 15 minutes prior to the scan. If you’re doing a full body scan, you cannot sit down as the heat created on the back of the legs will alter readings.
- I’ll ask you to remove all jewelry and eyeglasses and your hair must be put up and away from face and neck.
- Please, no rubbing or touching anywhere near the breasts or crossing arms while you wait. The same rule applies to modified full body scan as you acclimate. Any touching should be avoided, especially areas of concern to avoid generating heat.
- After the 15 minute acclimation period, we’ll spend approximately 20 – 30 minutes doing the thermoscan. Please inform us if you have a hot flash during the session.
I recommend you plan on being at our center for 45 – 60 minutes.